 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2091
Re: New Mega Bloks Military sets found.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 03:12:04 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Mike Petrucelli wrote:
   I was at Wal-Mart and up on the top shelf they had new Command
Ops sets. So I got one.

Mmmmm. And the Command Ops sets have finally made it out here to the periphery. Only took 6 months :-(

Well, one set has, the Satellite Capture. AUD30 at Big W (Campbelltown, Sydney). I haven’t seen a review, sooooo...

I have to say I’m impressed.

The helicopter is seriously juniorised (as for the humvee, only bigger), being made up of about 6 structural pieces and maybe a dozen fairings and rotor blades pieces. Its not a bad minifig rendition of a Blackhawk, and has a huge swoosh factor. In terms of MB cute engineering coolness, the winch on the left hand side winches itself back up using a little clockwork motor that also drives the main rotor. So you pull the winch line down, it returns, and the rotor turns. The rotor also freewheels nicely, as does the tail rotor.

The stand is kinda cute too. Its a clear plastic tube maybe 20 high, with a black plastic cap on each end, that fits snugly into the chopper and into a modified version of the largest 2 high terrain piece, which it itself stuck to a large baseplate. I thought it was rather tacky when I opened the set, but it actually works a treat. Both the black caps essentially disappear into their anchor pounts, so all there is to see is the clear plastic tube which, well, you just don’t see unless you look for it. Don’t know what else you could use it for. But its not like you can seriously customise the chopper, so if nothing else, its a great way to display and shelve the model.

The desert kit army dudes are cool, as are their packs (affixed to two back of shoulder studs on the fig torsos). Weapons are good, but each has an intergal stud (for no apparent reason) which rather ruins the lines of them unless you look at them just so.

Plenty of 2x1 rounded ‘stone’ bricks, which make for nice walls (if you can score buckets of them - and there were a lot in dark grey in the largest of the recent dragons sets). Two of the 2x6x2 cornice pieces from the Alien Agency factory set too. Also three 4 x 6 glass panes, complete with moulded cracks for damage - could have done without that extra detail.

I guess I’m relaxed about the airborne dudes being in desert camo, but am a bit surprised that the chopper is contrarily green. Its a small issue. Maybe they haven’t had the chance to paint it in-country colours yet. The desert camo dudes go extremely well with the APC from the pro builder range too :-) If I can find some of the green dudes about, I may even have to press my tanks back into service!

10 figs, blocks, baseplates, and a chopper for AUD$30. I went back and bought a second for myself, and my boys (11 and 12) think they’re fabulous sets and bought one each.

Between the Vorgans, which in my brickverse are the undisputed military leaders of medieval times having trounced both megablocks humans and Lego humans in BrikWars, and in the future have their own starship equiped with fighters from the Alien Agency sets challenging Port Block Yards for supremacy in New Pacific, and now these guys running around in the present pouring from the sky at every opportunity and taking stuff over, its hard to see what hope there is for the ‘yellow smiley faced weaklings’ (as I recall Blockmen used to call them in their histories).

On an only slightly related topic, may I point out that a squad of Vorgan cavalry, galloping over a rise with a banner flying, on those big a$$ MB horses, covered by the tall rectangular curved shields, waving some serious devices of decapitation about, seems to inspire enemies to simply down tools and leave the field. Gotta love that!

Richard
Still baldly going...