 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1618
1617  |  1619
Subject:
Shifty Brand Hits North America
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.loc.ca.bc.van
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 04:09:28 GMT

I was out checking the lego situation in Metrotown, when I decided to look
at the Dollar Store. I noticed some model cars in the front and wanted to
see them. Upon my entrance to the Toy aisle, I immediately look at a lower
shelf and see Pirate LEGO! Of course it was a collection of Clone bricks
with a picture stolen directly from the original Lego box.  They had an
assortment of sets pirate, castle, space, and horrible looking town cars.
The boxes have the word "Enlighten" in the upper right corner followed by
either "Brick" or "Shifty" (I could think of another word that begins with S
to describe these bricks). The store had a whole bunch of other toys with
stolen trade marks hehe.

I paid around $6.00 for 4 sets, all of them pirate/islanders. I thought they
might be worth it for the accessories. Thankfully the brown spears and other
brown items are the same color; however all of the figs have white hands and
many weird torsos. The "9602" set shows an imperial guard, when I opened the
box it turns outs instead of a red tunic he has a black tunic with gold
striping. Yellow seems to be the only major color that's really off. The
foliage seems transparent also

Of the four sets that I bought there was on sailor's hat that was so
deformed it doesn't even fit on the head. Thankfully the boxes open with
flaps and are not even held together with paste, so you can see what you are
getting. "Shifty" seems to have not copied the mould for the musket so
instead of the muskets I got brown rifles.

All in all I don't think I would ever use the bricks in these sets, but the
accessories seem decent.