 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 153
Re: Lion Brand?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 1999 13:28:38 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Matthew Wilkins writes:

Are the 2x4 bricks about 3/4 inch (1.5cm) by 1 1/2 inch (almost 4 cm) and
about 1/4 inch (1 cm) high? With tiny little knobs? I used to have several of
these (legacy from older siblings) mixed in with the more ancient Legos in my
collection. The vertical serrations on the edges were supposed to make them
look more like real bricks when you used them to build a house. I don't recall
what they were called, but I know of what you speak.

-Cheese

Cheers Cheese!
  The box contains five bricks like that, and studying them closer I noticed
that one of those 2x4s has "RELIABLE [Made in Canada] EASYLOCK]" moulded into
the top. They also have the rather cool brick-like serrations - ie the 2x4 is
made to look like three smaller bricks, but if you were to put more than one of
them end-on end it would look like large brick, small brick, large brick etc. I
did get them in East York, Toronto, so are these a Canadian-clone brand?

The Lion Building set has a UK Patent #1269755, so I could find out more about
them using that, but looking at the UK patent web-site they want a £15 fee,
which I'm not inclined to pay at the moment! But yeah, the Lion blocks are
different from what you describe

This is a 2x4 from underneath:
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
|o   o   o   o|
|=============|
|o   o   o   o|

Key:
o Hollow under side of stud
= Central moulding running length of brick
|- Serrated edge
.` Ridge sticking out into the inside of the brick. These allow other
   bricks to attach firmly at 1 stud and 1/2 stud intervals *underneath*

If/when I get scans of the box I'll post details.

Richard