 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1370
Re: Mega Blocks DRAGONS now @ Target stores!!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 01:35:20 GMT

"Robert Horvath" <rjsahorvath@rogers.com> writes:

I saw the Megabloks DRAGONS sets at TRU here in Canada this morning.
Although, I am basically a LEGO train and town fan, my boys are Castle fans.
I think Megabloks has a keeper here.  The minifig figures look great and the
pieces are very interesting and can see how a castle builder could really
enjoy these pieces.  Although, I did not buy any right away, I can see this
moving into our home soon.  We tend to be LEGO snobs (oh don't let that MB
pollute our supply ;) ) but Megabloks seems to have a great idea here.  TRU
even featured it at the store entrance aisle end.

I bought the 2 medium sets (9981 "Battle Gate" and 9886 "Sorcerer's Lair")
and the smaller one (9871 "Dragon Slayer") at a TRU here in Edmonton,
on Monday. Used a pair of $5.00 off coupons on the medium ones. I didn't
see the big set, but there were also a couple of the chest sets there
(with minifigs in, I think).

I'd say the sets are halfway between regular building blocks and action
figures. *Much* more detailed than regular building block stuff, but with
studs, etc. in lots of places. The dragons are quite nice. It is *very*
hard to get the front legs in fully (at least the one I've tried so far) -
you have to push real hard and crank them back-and-forth before they
will pop into the socket. The rear legs were fine, as were the wings.

The wings flap when you push on the back of the seat (a pair of studs in
front of it). Each dragon (all coloured differently, I think) comes with
a gem (different colours and bezels), which snaps into a socket as a
necklace decoration. They have a pair of watch batteries in them, and
that causes the dragon's eyes to light up a bit. (Likely one LED). On
mine they go off after a minute or two, and you have to remove the gem
and re-insert it to get the light back on. It also looks like if you
plug a gem into a socket on some scenery in the Lair set, that some
runes light up, showing you how to open a secret compartment.

I'm still unsure of my overall reaction. I never played with action
figures as a kid, so its a foreign thing to me. We'll see what happens
when I get them all out and set up.

--
Experience should guide us, not rule us.

Chris Gray     cg@ami-cg.GraySage.COM
               http://www.GraySage.COM/cg/