 Model Team / 928
Re: The original "M" car
Newsgroups:
lugnet.modelteam
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2003 13:07:07 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Andreas Engel writes:
Hi folks!

I just finished building the original "M" car, the BMW M1. Only 450 of the
real ones were built, and even less out of Lego bricks, I guess :-)

Very cool. Awesome model!

Unlike most people, who probably favor Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Porsches or
whatever, I would prefer to own and drive this motorized jewel over ANY
other car in the world.

It does have a look reminiscent of a Lamborghini or Ferrari. I'm not too
familiar with cars, so I was surprised to see the look of this BMW.

Again I decided to rebuild a model I already had built out of Lego bricks as
a child, just like it is the case with some other models at my website.

I took a different building approach this time, because I built the chassis
and bodywork of the car first and then checked which official Lego set
contains wheels in a size that that would fit to my model.

It turned out that the only matching tires were the 56x28 ZRs from the 8475
RC Race Buggy set. These are some really cool tires, too bad they are
available in only one rather expensive set right now.

Pictures, construction details ... the whole story can be found at my website:

Your attention to detail and function makes this a great model. The doors
are great, the dashboard and interior are great, everything is great! Nice work.

-TJ