 Model Team / 600
Re: The Big Crane At Brickfest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.modelteam
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 04:10:33 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Dennis Bosman writes:
9.5 pounds = ... kgs??? Sounds heavy, so the crane has a great lifting
capacity. Is the boom strongs enough??? You have to take care of sufficient

Dennis,

Booms made of Technic beams like this are remarkably strong. I am working on
a crane as well (who isn't!) and have tested the boom to 100Kg direct load
and it doesn't even look like moving. I was pretty amazed about this result
myself.

So far I've finished the rotating frame, boom, A-Frame and winches,
turntable and cross-frame. Testing with this on a flat base, I find the main
limitation is the load that the winches will take without the gearbox
pulling apart. I have succssfully lifted 12 Kg with a 4:1 block. At 16 Kg,
the winch broke, but the rest of the structure is fine. These are controlled
lifts where the weight is picked, either luffed, or rotated and put down
again. Note I am working at Technic Figure scale of around 20:1. My ultimate
goal is to lift 40-50 Kg.

Now I've just got to keep buying sets to get enough parts to complete the
crawlers. And some pulleys for a bigger set of blocks.

Regards
Gordon