 Model Team / 1077
Re: New MOC: Scania Garbage Truck
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.modelteam
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 20:12:00 GMT

"Dennis Bosman" <dennisbosman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Hny0Fy.FLL@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.technic, Reinard van Loo wrote:
Dennis, you should have some experience here, do you have some intputs?

Yes indead I have some experience here.

The biggest problem is de cab is getting bigger and heaver every time. • Today's
trucks has large driver's cabs and the ones on my creations consist of • approx.
1200 to 1500 pieces (versions with sleeper cab and high roof).

That's why the front axle is always too weak. Reinard mentioned the old • 853's
mechanism is very strong. And it is. But the turning point of the wheels • is too
far inside. The mudguards are close to the wheels so the wheel outcome • would be
to big.

I always use these:

<<http://ldraw.org/library/official/images/7/4261.png>>

Together with the Technic plates.

Jennifer wrote is actually is the strongest. I don't think so. Her • Ackerman
mechanism is strong indead. I've used it for my small Liebherr A904 • excavator.
Because most of the weight pushes on the back axle the front axle is • strong
enough. And there are two wheels on each side. The front axle of the truck • has
single wheels. The stearing arm is long (18 studs in length) and it bends • a lot.
I saw it once with my <http://www.legotrucks.com/dennisbosman/no40.html • Scania
T144G with tip trailer>. I placed it on a shelf and looked underneath it. • Then I
saw the axle was bending heavily! I haven't saw that before!

What I always do is to place slopes between the underside of the chassis • beam
and the steering arm:

<<http://ldraw.org/library/official/images/7/3298.png>>

It doesn't solve the whole problem, but it works well. Maybe I will show • some of
my ideas soon on my website. I will place this one as well.

I have no experience with the latest LEGO models, so I don't know how the • 8466's
steering looks like.

Best regards,

Dennis

Interesting to hear the different views. On my Volvo NH12 I used the old
turntables, though I can't quite remember why I chose them at the time...
By far the worst steering system is using these brackets:
http://ldraw.org/library/official/images/0/32069.png and these arms:
http://ldraw.org/library/official/images/7/32068.png. They just don't take
any load.
As for the actual turning point, using something based on the old 853 system
moves the turning point (probably not the right term, but you all know what
I mean) half a stud away from the center of the wheel as compared to smaller
'all-in-one' steering arms. I didn't find that a problem.
As for the 8466's steering, I'm surprised to see it getting the thumbs up,
as I seem to remember lots of comments about it when it was first released,
saying there was too much play in it....

Duq