 MediaWatch / 810
809  |  811
Subject:
HP Lego on Local Fox News
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 18:12:39 GMT

Monday night on our local Fox News station (Boston, MA), there was a little
3 minute bit on "The best toys this holiday season" or some such. The idea
being that they were going to take a group of kids and turn them loose on
roughly 20 pre-picked toys at FAO Schwartz in Boston.

Interestingly, in the 12-second "coming up next on the Fox News" thing they
do before commercials, they said something along the lines of "See which
toys your kids will want this holiday season, and see which get tossed
aside", at the end of which they showed a child half-heartedly dropping a
Harry Potter set and going for something else.

The actual segment featured the HP Lego as "the first thing little Timmy [or
whoever] went to". And apparently the Lego maintained their interest for
quite a while (other toys were remarked as actually losing kids interest
rather rapidly). They actually seemed to be quite favorable towards the
Harry Potter sets, naming Hogwart's Castle specificially. So all in all
positive PR for Lego. They said the thing to watch for was interactive
toys-- stressing that kids wanted to play "by their own rules", to which end
I think Lego fits the mold...

However, what I *DID* notice that kind of saddened me was that the kids they
showed going after the HP sets were roughly aged 4-6. The older kids seemingly
went after other toys.  Of course, it really means very little since they
looked like they only had about 20 or so kids going after the toys, but I
still couldn't help but notice...

DaveE