 MediaWatch / 780
Re: NWBrickCon in the news
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 06:26:09 GMT

"James Brown" <galliard@shades-of-night.com> writes:
In lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, Kevin Loch writes:
Note to self:  Never invite mainstream, non-techie press
to an AFOL club meeting or event.

Yeah, that article isn't exactly complimentary, although she does get less
"gosh aren't they cute" towards the end.  But not all press is created
equal, here's a shot that appeared in the local paper for the train show
NALUG won first place at two weeks past:

http://www.graysage.com/nalug/TrainShow2002/newspaper.jpg

Main page here:

http://www.graysage.com/nalug/TrainShow2002/index.html

What sort of experience have other clubs had with media exposure?

Well, we had a couple of very positive articles about BayLUG last
spring.  The San Jose Mercury and the Fremont Argus both sent
reporters to our meeting, and they both wrote very nice, long articles
with pictures and everything.  They got picked up by many of the
lesser bay area newspapers and we probably got a couple of dozen new
members as a result.

The reporters are still on the announcements mailing list, last time I
checked, BTW.

--Bill.

        Consistency is not really a human trait.
                         --Maude (from the film "Harold & Maude")