 MediaWatch / 659
Re: LEGO makes Time Magazine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 01:14:29 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, John Gerlach writes:
In lugnet.mediawatch, Ted Michon writes:
I'm surprised that no one here has reported that the current Time Magazine
contains a quarter page item on an "amazing new trend": adults like to build
things with LEGO! The story mentions Eric Harshbarger (congrats Eric!).

-Ted Michon

Is it still a "new" trend if we've been building (as adults) for 20 years?

This does beg the question whether this is a "new" trend or not.  If yes,
some reasons might include:
1.  It's 20-30 years after a big push with Legos in the 70's (possibly due
to the introduction of minifigs?).  More kids building Legos grow up to be
more adults now.  This theory would depend on statistics about kids with
Legos back then.
2.  New themes (Star Wars!) have brought adults to Legos either as a return
to Legos or for the first time.
3.  The web allows for more communication between AFOLs, helping encourage
them to pursue the hobby.
Alternatively, there might be no real difference between the numbers of
AFOLs now versus the past, it's just that now we all make websites and so we
have come to the attention of eachother and of the media.

Bruce