 MediaWatch / 2320
Re: LEGO® Group - The world's most reputable company of 2007
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2007 21:35:17 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Bryan Wong wrote:
   In lugnet.mediawatch, Abner Finley wrote:
   LEGO® is No.1 of 600 companies for 2007

May 23, 2007 Fobes.com By Tara Weiss

The world’s most reputable companies: These business have products consumers want — and their trust

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18805466/

Reputation Institute surveyed more than 60,000 people online in 29 countries — participants could only vote on companies based in the country where they live. Of the 600 companies, the mean score is 60 points. LEGO received an 85.01 — which the Institute considers excellent. Behind LEGO is the Italian pasta, sauce and specialty food company Barilla, which came in third place this year with a score of 84.05. Last year it was in first place.

It’s interesting how the change they implemented around 2003/04 created a huge schism within the AFOL community, but really had no major effect whatsoever on how the average consumer views/viewed TLG. TLG probably lost a lot of our trust because of that move, but by including us in their product development, I’m sure they’ve started to win it back.

-Bryan

From the way the article is worded, it looks like the results would only show how the average consumer in Denmark views/viewed TLG.

I think this study’s results don’t count for much, since they only surveyed those who live in the same country in which the company is based. Now if they let people vote for companies that are based in their own country or sell their products in that country, I think the results would be a lot more informing. As it is I think the study shows more how people view a company as an employer as opposed to the company’s dealing as a whole. That being said, I’m still glad that LEGO won. (Although with all of their layoffs, I’m not sure how the Danes voted so positively--must’ve been some niiiiice severance packages.)

David “Fuzzy” Gregory