 MediaWatch / 1261
Re: Brick Testament article in Baltimore Sun
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 13:14:16 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Chris Phillips wrote:
I recently met a man at the local Pick-a-Brick wall
who was clearly looking at the bricks out of personal
interest.

Is there a Pick-a-Brick in the Boston area now?

We struck up a conversation and The Brick Testament
came up.  Turns out he is a youth minister.  He said
to me "It is so good to see someone who is able to
combine his LEGO hobby with his faith."  He was
somewhat taken aback when I suggested that he should
perhaps read between the lines before he started using
the BT in his youth ministry.  He certainly hadn't
noticed the subtleties.

I realize that the Brick Testament website and especially the Genesis book have
found a receptive audience among both non-believers and the devout.  About once
a week I am still getting requests from ministers or youth workers, seeking
permission to use images from the website in their Sunday School classes, and
I'm always happy to grant permission for any such non-commercial re-use.

I don't demand that people enjoy The Brick Testament for the same reasons I do,
and I think it's clear that people can have very widely divergent opinions about
the significance of these Bible stories, and yet can all enjoy a faithful
rendering of them in LEGO, constructed with an attention to detail and a sense
of humor.

In totally related questions, how's the book doing?

I bought a copy, so it's at least in the single digits...

There's more anecdotal evidence!  I knew this guy Chris, and he bought a copy of
my book.  I think it's selling well!

Rev., great work as always!

Thanks, Chris.

-Rev. Smith

PS. Of course, if you read between those things which are between the lines,
you'll discover that I am really a modern day prophet of God and that this book
is pure unbridled evangelism.  But there'll always be further layers of lines to
read between, won't there?