 Marketplace / Theory / 526
Re: Wow, check out the size of this ship! (Not my auction)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 14:09:23 GMT

   eBay has a new reserve policy, I think which says the minimum must be at
least 25% of the reserve.   Maybe he wants $2,000 for it.  Whatever he
wants, I think $500 is too much.

--
   Have fun!
   John
David Eaton wrote in message ...
In lugnet.market.auction, Nick Goetz writes:
It looks like the model they put in the LEGO Imagination Centers.

BTW: If you have something that big and are expecting a lot of money, why
would you start at $500 and still have a reserve? Why wouldn't you just
start at your minimum required price? If someone could explain this I • would
really appreciate it.

Well, my only thought is that it prevents people from bidding under $500 at
all... it could be that if the seller gets 1 bid for $500 and no other bids
that the seller re-thinks his reserve price and sells it for $500... • however,
if there was no initial minimum, that first and only bid would turn into
something like $1... so it's a little more protection. Hence, I guess it • might
be like a fallback reserve price.

Otherwise, you're right. It doesn't make much sense at all... I either • would
have set the initial bid to $1 and had a reserve or set the initial bid to • my
reserve price.

Will Middelaer wrote in message ...
Just look at all of those gray bricks.  Of course, they are probably all • glued
together :-(

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=198118331

On that note-- yeah! It looks cool, but... It's so useless! What would you • DO
with it? It's over 100 pounds, so you can't hang it anywhere easily in your
house... It's so big that displaying it on a table would be awkward... It's • not
really all that impressive anyway in terms of a model, except in sheer • size...
and it's all glued together, so you can't use the pieces! (Or at least I'm
assuming it's glued... that's probably one reason why it's so heavy! If it • were
just solid bricks, it'd most likely weigh about 50 lbs, rather than three • times
as much-- MAYBE 100 lbs with the batteries/lights/motors/whatever that's
inside it, but I think that'd be pushing it for just bricks & • electronics...

Anyway, that's my $.02-- I don't think I'd pay $5 for it, let alone $500. • It'd
just take up valueable LEGO space in my place. You'd have to PAY me to take • it!

DaveE