 Marketplace / Theory / 524
Re: Wow, check out the size of this ship! (Not my auction)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 17:52:24 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Nick Goetz writes:
It looks like the model they put in the LEGO Imagination Centers.

BTW: If you have something that big and are expecting a lot of money, why
would you start at $500 and still have a reserve? Why wouldn't you just
start at your minimum required price? If someone could explain this I would
really appreciate it.

Well, my only thought is that it prevents people from bidding under $500 at
all... it could be that if the seller gets 1 bid for $500 and no other bids
that the seller re-thinks his reserve price and sells it for $500... however,
if there was no initial minimum, that first and only bid would turn into
something like $1... so it's a little more protection. Hence, I guess it might
be like a fallback reserve price.

Otherwise, you're right. It doesn't make much sense at all... I either would
have set the initial bid to $1 and had a reserve or set the initial bid to my
reserve price.

Will Middelaer wrote in message ...
Just look at all of those gray bricks.  Of course, they are probably all • glued
together :-(

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=198118331

On that note-- yeah! It looks cool, but... It's so useless! What would you DO
with it? It's over 100 pounds, so you can't hang it anywhere easily in your
house... It's so big that displaying it on a table would be awkward... It's not
really all that impressive anyway in terms of a model, except in sheer size...
and it's all glued together, so you can't use the pieces! (Or at least I'm
assuming it's glued... that's probably one reason why it's so heavy! If it were
just solid bricks, it'd most likely weigh about 50 lbs, rather than three times
as much-- MAYBE 100 lbs with the batteries/lights/motors/whatever that's
inside it, but I think that'd be pushing it for just bricks & electronics...

Anyway, that's my $.02-- I don't think I'd pay $5 for it, let alone $500. It'd
just take up valueable LEGO space in my place. You'd have to PAY me to take it!

DaveE