 Marketplace / Theory / 525
Re: Wow, check out the size of this ship! (Not my auction)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 18:19:09 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Nick Goetz writes:
It looks like the model they put in the LEGO Imagination Centers.
I agree with whoever said Toy's R US.  I've seen these (or something that this
reminds me of) in several TRUs.

BTW: If you have something that big and are expecting a lot of money, why
would you start at $500 and still have a reserve? Why wouldn't you just
start at your minimum required price?

Well, my only thought is that it prevents people from bidding under $500 at

I think it's to keep from scaring people off.  If I'm selling something with a
reserve of $5000, I might start the bidding at a lower number like $2500 to get
people into the auction.  Once more people start bidding, others will come
along and join the fun.  That could be the thought process for this.  What
usually ends up happening though is that you get one or two bids and it goes pu
to $3200 or so and the bidding stops (or since it's eBay, the time runs out).

On that note-- yeah! It looks cool, but... It's so useless! What would you DO
with it?

Make "UFO Mountain" at the corner of town. :)  But yeah, I'd take it for under
$10 just for the novelty, but I wouldn't actually pay any big money for it.  Of
course, I've got no room for it, so it would just add to the clutter here.

Ben Roller