 Marketplace / Theory / 324
  Re: why eBay proxy bidding is broken

(...) minimum (...) (25 years ago, 8-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: why eBay proxy bidding is broken

(...) A couple points: 1. We aren't saying that the 2nd buyer shouldn't get the item, we are saying that the 2nd buyer should be willing to beat the current maximum bid by the minimum bid increment. 2. Had the 2nd buyer placed a proxy of $51 or (...) (25 years ago, 8-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: why eBay proxy bidding is broken

(...) minimum (...) Well, it's sort of an innate fairness, I suppose, but also partly a difference of opinion about what a proxy bid is. I'll attempt an explanation. 1: eBay as written, allows the system to be cheated. Let's assume, for the sake of (...) (25 years ago, 8-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: why eBay proxy bidding is broken

(...) I was going to chime in with an explanation like Eric's but now I don't have to. I would be keen to hear an explanation of why one proxy should have to beat another by a full increment. Say I'm selling my car and the current bid is $5,000 and (...) (25 years ago, 8-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: why eBay proxy bidding is broken

(...) bid of $10 for fifteen identical lots with the current bid at $3. I come along and say, "Wow, look at those!" and bid $12 on one lot, Auczilla will proxy every single lot you have up to $10. That will basically cause some dissatisfaction. (...) (25 years ago, 10-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: why eBay proxy bidding is broken

(...) I don't beleive it's a flaw or known bug, per se. It is in fact intentional behaviour. See: (URL) to readers in the distant future, that URL may not work. At the time of writing, X was the current auction... if it doesn't try whatever the (...) (25 years ago, 10-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: why eBay proxy bidding is broken

(...) PS, this is why I have stopped bidding on ALL of a given lot type and size, even if I want most of them... let someone else's bid get bumped first. :-) (25 years ago, 10-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: why eBay proxy bidding is broken

(...) Auczilla (...) I don't have a problem with Auczilla doing things that way. It saves lots of time because I assure you, if I want one of those 15 lots it saves me lots of time rather than bidding up one, followed by another, followed by.... (...) (25 years ago, 11-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.theory)