 Marketplace / Theory / 312
Re: To sell or to auction, that is the question.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 17:20:49 GMT

Jason M Normand wrote:

The way of the world typicaly is first come first sever.  it has its problems
but in most instances it works.  Auctions are more complicated and typicaly
less fair to all then strait sales.  The seller will sepend weeks or even
months waiting and proccessing the auction while the buyer will sit there
wondering if some guy will jump on at the last min and outbid him.

Here we go again...

I'll let Larry or someone else jump in on the "fairness" of auction vs.
straight sale.

Yes an auction is more complicated than a straight sale, but need not
take weeks or months to run (true, Auczilla runs several weeks, but
that's a huge auction). And of course a proper auction system doesn't
let someone come in at the last minute and outbid without the capability
of response (and adding that response time need not extend the duration
of the auction that much - what I don't quite understand is why Serious
Collector lets the auctions sit for so long before hitting going once).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com