 Marketplace / Theory / 2590
Re: 10$ S&H ???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 01:19:48 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, David Arnon wrote:
Hi,

I have a problem I was hoping to get some advice about:

I recently bought Backhoe Loader through eBay.
(I live in Israel so I couldn't use lego direct)

On the auction the seller requested that international bidders contact him
before bidding, so I did, asking for a shipping quote. He also wrote that the
buyer will cover the PayPal cost (6$).

He gave me a quote of 42.50 US$ for Airmail Parcel Post.

So, I used "Buy it now" to buy the set and paid 141$ ( = 93$ (price) + 42$
(shipping) + 6$ (paypal)).

Fast shipping, nice packaging & excellent set.

BUT...

It's clearly marked on the box that the shipping was 32.50 US$.
That's 10$ less than the quote I got!
10$ S&H  ????

I asked him about that difference and got a touching letter saying that:
- most of his customers ask about that difference.
- the materials alone cost him 6$  (the packaging is nice, but nothing I haven't
seen before)
- he is in this business to earn a small profit.
- international shipping is a big hassle after September 11.
- the only reason he deals with it is because he has to feed two kids.
- I agreed to the shipping quote.

So...
What should I do?
Is that acceptable as a decent way of conducting business?
Should I insist to get that difference back? (can he refund part of the money
through PayPal?)
Should I leave negative/neutral feedback?
This guy has 230 positive feedbacks with NO negative or neutral ones! Am I the
only one that feels bad about such a behavior?

Any feedback will be appreciated as I'm really not sure what to do and if my bad
feeling about this is even justified.

Thanks,
- David

My view goes something like this...  International shipping involves more
paperwork than inside the US shipping. You have to get it right or else the
package might not arrive in a timely fashion (or might even get bounced back to
the sender). Its extra work. You asked him for a shipping cost and he quoted
one. You (apparently) did not find the shipping cost an issue, only that part of
the quoted cost went to the seller for extra effort rather than to the Post
Office. When I sell things on BL, I specify "actual cost plus $1". It appears
that this seller is doing "plus $10" (possibly for international). A bit high,
but I'm not sure it would be out of line.

Ray