 Marketplace / Theory / 2588
2587  |  2589
Subject:
10$ S&H ???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 00:58:12 GMT

Hi,

I have a problem I was hoping to get some advice about:

I recently bought Backhoe Loader through eBay.
(I live in Israel so I couldn't use lego direct)

On the auction the seller requested that international bidders contact him
before bidding, so I did, asking for a shipping quote. He also wrote that the
buyer will cover the PayPal cost (6$).

He gave me a quote of 42.50 US$ for Airmail Parcel Post.

So, I used "Buy it now" to buy the set and paid 141$ ( = 93$ (price) + 42$
(shipping) + 6$ (paypal)).

Fast shipping, nice packaging & excellent set.

BUT...

It's clearly marked on the box that the shipping was 32.50 US$.
That's 10$ less than the quote I got!
10$ S&H  ????

I asked him about that difference and got a touching letter saying that:
- most of his customers ask about that difference.
- the materials alone cost him 6$  (the packaging is nice, but nothing I haven't
seen before)
- he is in this business to earn a small profit.
- international shipping is a big hassle after September 11.
- the only reason he deals with it is because he has to feed two kids.
- I agreed to the shipping quote.

So...
What should I do?
Is that acceptable as a decent way of conducting business?
Should I insist to get that difference back? (can he refund part of the money
through PayPal?)
Should I leave negative/neutral feedback?
This guy has 230 positive feedbacks with NO negative or neutral ones! Am I the
only one that feels bad about such a behavior?

Any feedback will be appreciated as I'm really not sure what to do and if my bad
feeling about this is even justified.

Thanks,
- David