 Marketplace / Theory / 2066
Re: MIB listings when they are not MIB
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 23:26:33 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Kevin Salm writes:

Mint means Mint means that the item is in perfect condition and not altered or
handled in any way.  Postage stamps are mint only when they have not been
handled with fingers and the sheet is perfect. Lego is mint only when the
package is still factory sealed.  If the item is not Mint, please do not use
that description.

G'day Kevin,

I can understand your frustration, but am I missing something here?
I've always thought "mint" could be rightfully applied to opened
sets.  An assembled set likely suffers some minor wear due to being
assemblied, and so is perhaps best as "neat mint".  But if the pieces
have been removed from all packaging, but never assembled, they
are still mint.  Mint means the condition of the pieces are just as
they left the factory.  Removing them from the plastic bags does not
change this, unless you're going to fuss over potential finger prints.

What bugs me is when people say "mint" for every condition under the
sun because it's a vogue term to use to sell something.  Good
luck holding people to it though after completing a transaction.  I
recently saw an auction for some Classic Space sets where the seller
claimed every item was "mint".  I queried him on it and found out
that they had several years play.  Good thing I asked...

KDJ
LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada