 Marketplace / Theory / 2062
Re: MIB listings when they are not MIB
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 04:27:16 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Kevin Salm writes:
MIB listings for items when they are not drive me crazy !!!

I have a few routine searches that I use on Ebay within the Lego category [1].
One of those is a search for 'MIB'

Now, one would expect that all items listed as MIB would be in that condition
but that is not the case.  Used sets with box are often listed as MIB.
I don't care if it has only been assembled once and put immediately back into
the box--it is no longer MIB.

Mint means Mint means that the item is in perfect condition and not altered or
handled in any way.  Postage stamps are mint only when they have not been
handled with fingers and the sheet is perfect. Lego is mint only when the
package is still factory sealed.  If the item is not Mint, please do not use
that description.

Remember, there are other terms that can be used when an item is less than
mint.  Some of them are NEW, NEW-UNUSED, NEW-NEVER USED, USED-EXCELLENT, etc.
Even the term NEAR-MINT is acceptable to most people, IMO.

Please do not over-use the term MINT in describing auctions.  It drives me
crazy!!!

__Kevin Salm__
....Lego enthusiast for over 20 years....

[1] searching for Lego outside of Lego category is a waste of time
http://listings.ebay.com/aw/listings/list/all/category1186/index.html

.

Yea, the way it gets used, you'd think they meant "Mine In Box".  When
purchased, I guess they expect it to become YIB?
They're most likely trying to get a higher sale price for the term usage.
Pay it no mind unless the actual description states that it is factory
sealed and never used.
-Aaron-