 Marketplace / Theory / 1880
Re: An auction gone... funny. What to do?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 17:05:50 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Bryan Wong writes:
Hi,

Recently, I auctioned off 124 black plates at eBay, and they sold for $29.77
(For those of you interested, my eBay id is blackintegra).  The winner has
received them, but is making a complaint of some sort.

My posting on eBay indicated the sizes of the plates (for example):
1x2 24
1x3 10
etc.

He claims that he thought the measurements were in inches, and he thinks
that $29.77 for the plates I had on auction is too much.  He's wondering if
we can work something out.

I politely replied to him, telling him that if there's something unclear in
my auction, he should ask me first!  Second, it is standard that we refer to
pieces by their stud size rather than in inches.  Third, other completed
auctions at eBay resulted in similar prices.  I also determined that buying
the identical pieces from brickbay.com would cost an average of $31.

Obviously I am somewhat annoyed by this inconvenience, so I'm wondering if
you guys have any advice for me.  The more I think about it, the more the
phrase "Buyer Beware" pops into my head.

Thanks for reading,

Bryan

The old phrase... "a picture is worth a thousand words" pops into my head :-)
It would certainly help to back up your claim that they were stud size
rather than in inches.  I see by your auction (537153228) that no picture
was included but it does appear that the price is in line for what was
offered.  Perhaps you could re-word your auction description to:  "in the
stated sizes (studs) and quantities" or something like that.

Personally I find that "bargaining" with the buyer for a lower price after
the auction causes more trouble than it is worth and can, in some cases,
lead to the same problem happening again.
- Jeff