 Marketplace / Theory / 1875
Re: An auction gone... funny. What to do?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 13:31:00 GMT

Bryan, I had something similar happen a couple of months ago.  A guy won an
auction for two brown baseplates, 16x32, for $7.50.  Right in line with
Brickbay prices.  When he received them, he complained that he felt cheated
because he thought they were 16" by 32".

I replied politely explaining standard terminology when describing legos,
directed him to Brickbay for comparison, and offered to return his money if he
wished.  I also pointed out that baseplates don't come in that size.  He
replied and insisted that a store near him had told him they were going to
carry plates in that size (but didn't have them in stock yet).  I asked him to
let me know when they arrived since I felt many folks would interested in this
new size plate, but never heard back.

I don't know if he genuinely misunderstood, or if he was trying to scam me.
But it seems like a lot of effort for a $7.50 deal (He wanted me to drop the
price to $6.00).

I wonder if Kevin would consider it worth adding a brief section about standard
ways of describing legos to his lego buying FAQ. It could cover bricks vs.
plates, measurement standards, and a link to the Parts ref database.

Karen

In lugnet.market.theory, Bryan Wong writes:
Hi,

Recently, I auctioned off 124 black plates at eBay, and they sold for $29.77
(For those of you interested, my eBay id is blackintegra).  The winner has
received them, but is making a complaint of some sort.

My posting on eBay indicated the sizes of the plates (for example):
1x2 24
1x3 10
etc.

He claims that he thought the measurements were in inches, and he thinks
that $29.77 for the plates I had on auction is too much.  He's wondering if
we can work something out.