 Marketplace / Theory / 1745
Re: PAYPAL Work-Around (untested)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 00:06:58 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Jon Kozan writes:

On the face of it, it's pretty strange that a Personal Account can receive
unlimited payments just so long as they're not paid with a CC

Not so strange:

   1. Paypal has to pay the credit card discount,  regardless.
   2. They make money off the "float" (money that people leave in their
      Paypal accounts).

So:

   1. They encourage people to pay with money they didn't "pay a premium" for.
   2. They eat a few bucks of charges on personal accounts to promote use and
      get some goodwill.
   3. They shift costs to the minority of "merchants",  just like the credit
      card issuers,  and even phone companies,  do.

The system is designed to steer cheap money into accounts where it's most
likely to hang around and earn them some interest.

This is pretty much the way it "should have" been from the beginning,  but
Paypal obviously ate a lot of charges as a way of buying some market share.
And it worked:  I just read yesterday that ebay's purchase of BillPoint (I
*think* that's the name) is now being regarded as A Bad Move (tm) by the
stock-floggers,  because Paypal is actually doing more of the settlements for
ebay auctions than ebay's own subsidiary.

Ran