 Marketplace / Theory / 1751
Re: PAYPAL Work-Around (untested)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 01:11:50 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, Ran Talbott writes:

I just read yesterday that ebay's purchase of BillPoint (I
*think* that's the name) is now being regarded as A Bad Move (tm) by the
stock-floggers,  because Paypal is actually doing more of the settlements for
ebay auctions than ebay's own subsidiary.

This despite BillPoint being built into the listing page...

First mover advantage strikes again. PayPal has left everyone else in the
dust. eBay would better have bought PayPal.

I'm not so sure I would agree.  I would think that eBay would be happy to
get rid of BillPoint rather than assuming ownership of PayPal.  I suspect
that eBay thought (correctly so in my opinion) that more people would bid,
and bid higher if they could pay by credit card for their auctions.  If this
is correct then their main reason to provide a function like BillPoint is to
satisfy this requirement. If an outside company (like PayPal) would provide
a similarly acceptable alternative they would be happy to pass that
responsiblity onwards.

It's eerie how similar the complaints about eBay of a year or two ago and
the complaints about PayPal seem. Not in particulars, but in form. Both more
or less own their market, both do things that a lot of people don't like,
but people are going to go along anyway. Gee, am I arguing against dominant
players in markets... Urp. nevermind. :-)

++Lar