 Marketplace / Theory / 1744
Re: PAYPAL Work-Around (untested)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 23:12:46 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Rose Regner writes:

3) Open a new Personal Account.
4) Don't accept CC payments on the Personal (or reverse them if someone • sends
one anyway)
5) Accept CC's on the Premier

We have already done this. The problem we have had with Ebay sales is that
people send the money before contacting us and they have sent the money to
the Premier account and thus incurred charges to us.

We have come up with a solution, we changed the email address to a new one
specific to paypal only. This way if they try to send a payment without
contacting us first the payment will not go through.
Good suggestion - I'm already shielded on Ebay due to email forwarding of my
EBay email address (my EBay address is a forwarding spot only).

I have a question though. If we have received payment from someone that used
a credit card and then we pay someone else with these funds, do they count
as a bank transfer? I hope so. We are very new to paypal. I am concerned
about accepting credit card payments in general due to fraud and the fact
that if the charges are refuted then you get "stuck" without payment.
Yes, it counts as a Bank transfer - a transfer from your funds - not a CC
payment.

As far as getting stuck with a fraudulent payment...
That's a cost of accepting CC's anywhere. If their EBay rating is good, I'd
probably accept their CC. I accept CC payments all the time on BAYLIT, and
check EBay feedback if I need to. (I ask for EBAY user id's)
Acutally PP has a policy in this regard on their TOU, but to doesn't fix
everything.

Digression....
I had one great customer who bought tons of stuff from me then the first time I
sent him some stuff (not a large amount really) before he paid, as he had
requested, he up and disappeared.
On another occasion, I had someone disappear after they'd paid for their stuff
- package returned as "undeliverable" (they'd tried to deliver it 4 times) and
he never responded to email again.
Wierd stuff happens all the time.

-Jon