 Marketplace / Theory / 1687
Re: payment by travelers checks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 00:46:45 GMT

Dave Schuler wrote in message ...
A good first step would be to call American Express and determine if the
checks have been presented for payment.  You'll need the serial numbers, of
course, but they'd be able to tell you if the recipient has cashed them.
As far as their negotiability goes, my impression is that they're as good
as cash; I've worked very low-end retail operations that wouldn't accept
personal checks, for example, but traveler's checks were welcome.  You'll
also be able to verify this with a call to AmEx. In addition, I recall once
cashing in about $200 in traveler's checks at a bank, and they gave me ten
crisp new $20 bills on the spot.

I never thought about calling Amex to see if the checks had been cashed.
Well it turns out that they had been cashed, but they could not tell the
exact date. I promptly email the seller back to let him know what Amex had
said and I suggested that maybe his bank had made a mistake. It's been 24
hours and still no response. The guy has 500+ feedbacks, so I would hope
that this is an error on his banks behalf.

Rose