 Marketplace / Theory / 1680
Re: "Self Insurance" on packages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 07:55:24 GMT

I noticed on anotehr seller's eBay auctions that they charge a 50c "Self
insurance" fee on each package, and promise to refund up to $50 if the
package is lost.

The possible risk is that the evil buyer receives the parcel but pretends
they don't. They end up with the set and the $50. I would expect that your
postal "losses" would increase if you offered self-insurance.

If the Post Office insures the parcel, then they can impose mechanisms to
confirm delivery. You can't.

Kerry