 Marketplace / Theory / 1675
Re: "Self Insurance" on packages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 18:30:07 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Kevin Wilson writes:
I noticed on anotehr seller's eBay auctions that they charge a 50c "Self
insurance" fee on each package, and promise to refund up to $50 if the
package is lost.

This seems like an interesting idea since most of my packages go out at
the "Small Packet" rate to teh US and other coutries, and it's not
possible to buy insurance on them. I think the 50c is a bit high and teh
$50 a bit low considering I've sent out about 1500 packages in teh last
18 months and just 2 have disappeared, but I'm considering doing this.
Anyone have opinions on it?

Kevin • In lugnet.market.theory, Kevin Wilson writes:
I noticed on anotehr seller's eBay auctions that they charge a 50c "Self
insurance" fee on each package, and promise to refund up to $50 if the
package is lost.

This seems like an interesting idea since most of my packages go out at
the "Small Packet" rate to teh US and other coutries, and it's not
possible to buy insurance on them. I think the 50c is a bit high and teh
$50 a bit low considering I've sent out about 1500 packages in teh last
18 months and just 2 have disappeared, but I'm considering doing this.
Anyone have opinions on it?

Kevin

(1)  The USPS gets 0.85 for the same coverage
(2)  If your loss rate is 2/1500, then expect one package in 750 to get lost
(although I think that might be a bit high, one in 400 ?)
(3)  If you collect 0.50 for each one, then (at that rate), you will collect
$375 for each lost package (with a $50 or less value)
(4)  Looks like a cash-cow to me :)

Seriously, this is why the USPS makes money. Its like the phone company, they
make very little profit on 'basic service', they make large margins on the
'added services' (like call waiting for example). Personally, I think the USPS
should be offering basic coverage ($50) on Priority Mail packages. But, as long
as people keep coughing it up, why bother. I even wonder if the blue insurance
tracking sticker on a package is just an invitation for pilferage.

Ray Sanders
numero 124