 Marketplace / Theory / 1634
Re: Dept. store window train display
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 18:56:05 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Gerlach writes:
In lugnet.trains, Dan Parker writes:
I landed a contract to build a holiday-themed train display for a local
department store.  Woo-hoo! [sound both the train and I are making]

What I'm looking for is an activation switch such that, when mounted
on the __inside__ of the glass window, passers-by on the sidewalk can
activate the train, tree lights, etc...

What about the Mindstorms Vision Command?  That would be a nearly
'all Lego' solution - other than the pc required to run the software... ;-)

Using an optical sensor from LEGO is by far the way to go IMO.
If it was me doing the display, I'd put a child-size cut-out with
hands over eyes and the sensor bricks behind the "eye-balls holes".
The figure would have a balloon saying "Cover my eyes to make..."
When the lights illuminating the display were blocked from the sensors
(two instead of just one would help reduce false signals) the train
would run.  You could even modify some switches and incorporate a
switching sequence and multiple trains if you wanted to get fancy.  8-)

How did you manage to get such a contract?  Did you approach the
store and suggest it?  Is there a place you offer such a service?
I'm sure I'm not the only train fan here with the electronics ability,
desire, etc. to create such a display.  It would be like a train show,
but without the rope barriers and questions.

You know what would be great - If a Bricksmith were to make such a
store display, it would presumably contain LEGO that could be purchased
inside the store.  The store could then offer the Bricksmith's kits
alongside the LEGO kits, (perhaps an “as seen in display window” section)
or provide the information for customers to purchase directly.  Alternately,
a sign in the window could list the items show, and where they may be
purchased – Inside the store for the 4561 and other retail LEGO sets,
the S@H phone number for the track, 4556, etc., and the URL(s) for the
Guild of Bricksmiths kit(s).  If the store had the flexibility to offer
a product that didn't come through its regular distribution channels,
an actual retail store sale would be a great step forward for us.
For that matter, what would you think of using one of my bridges and/or
one of Larry's Streetcars in your display?  (If it’s not a winter scene,
maybe one of Kevin’s gardens too?)

SRC
StRuCtures