 Marketplace / Theory / 1627
Re: Ebay question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 13:11:30 GMT

Kyle D. Jackson wrote:
Remember that a lot of auctions are businesses selling
anything under the sun.  I find this really annoying, and
wish that ebaY had "commercial" and "private" divisions.
It's as bad as flipping through an "Auto Trader" to find
someone selling a good used car, and seeing that half
the ads are from dealerships.

I don't mind the buisinesses. Several of them are actually quite good
(Michael Tanner, eBay ID mikebbc@earthlink.net is one example, he and
his brother run a comic book store, but he finds a lot of used LEGO, his
descriptions are good, and he offers good service, including credit card
sales). Several more of my top choices are also buisinesses (some
presumably not licensed), though they tend to deal more closely in LEGO
(but some deal in many used toys - in fact, a used toy dealer is a good
source, they are at least moderately educated about LEGO). Some of these
buisinesses can generate good bargains just BECAUSE they can't describe
their lots properly (and I seem to have a bit of a knack for sniffing
out some of these "Hmm, 'lots of weird LEGO bits', let me take a look,
Oh, look at that, Metroliner parts." [I forget what the lot that I got
that had Metroliner and monorail parts was labeled as, but I got a steal
on it]). Antique type dealers can also be good. Usually you will get a
good idea of the care they will take in shipping (since it's easy to
poorly pack stuff, people will mention it in their feedback if it is a
problem, I also try and mention in my feedback when I receive a
particularly well packaged item).

The things I look at before buying are good pictures and descriptions,
and feedback. I will usually ask if I can't tell condition from the
picture (though I have received some disappointing items). I also just
accept that a certain amount of what I receive will be in only fair
condition. I could get a lot pickier, but mostly I'm pleased. I also
read through the feedback. I especially check out any negative
feedbacks. I chose not to give one seller my buisiness after seeing
complaint after complaint in his feedback about tapes or CDs [I forget
what he was selling] which were copies not originals. On many of the
more busy sellers, you will find several negative feedbacks, which when
you check out are clearly retaliations from non-payers. The thing that
you know is that if you buy from someone with a 1000+ rating, you will
almost certainly get your item (actually, I figure 100+ with some
history of selling is pretty safe, below 100, I look carefully for
evidence of selling, if they're 100+, and have no negatives, I just skim
down the first page or two looking for evidence of selling).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com