 Marketplace / Theory / 1625
Re: Ebay question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 22:49:17 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Joakim Olsson writes:
I was browsing around Ebay and found this interesting auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=450224194

Read the text and compare it to the picture... Something is terribly wrong.

As a beginner browsing Ebay, are there things i need to know before using
it(As a buyer) not to be fooled?
Some good advice would be helpful, and highly appreciated.
Thanks for reading!

Yeah, the ad is definitely misleading.  It claims the LEGO is from
the "late 1960s and 1970s".  Looking at the pile, most of the pieces
seem to be from the late 1980s at the earliest, while some are
1990s.  There might be a few pieces that old, but I wouldn't count
on it.  It may be an honest mistake, but I believe someone shouldn't
put info in their ad that they cannot confirm.

As for advice, ask a *lot* of questions.  How they answer them
goes a long way towards establishing a comfort level.  Look at
the feedback, both quantity and quality.  If someone has 1000s
of feedbacks, but is selling rare LEGO, then it is unlikely
that they know much about what they are selling, as there is
no way someone would be selling that much rare LEGO.  People
with smaller feedbacks are more likely to actually know what
they are selling and its origin, and may actually be the
original owners.  Research the "market value" for the LEGO
in question, and also know your own willing limit for a
particular item.  Don't get caught in the bidding frenzy to
pay way more for something than you want.  This all goes for
straight sales as well as auctions.

Remember that a lot of auctions are businesses selling
anything under the sun.  I find this really annoying, and
wish that ebaY had "commercial" and "private" divisions.
It's as bad as flipping through an "Auto Trader" to find
someone selling a good used car, and seeing that half
the ads are from dealerships.

Ultimately remember that you have the ability to walk away
from anything that doesn't seem good..., use it.

Good luck,
KDJ
Kyle D. Jackson, LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada