 Marketplace / Theory / 157
  When should an auction end...

Is there any theory on when an auction should end. In terms of hour of day and/or day of week? I've placed counters on some of my ebay pages to monitor the hit rate distribution. Based on this, right now, I tend to avoid weekends and try to have it (...) (25 years ago, 24-Aug-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: When should an auction end...

I think if you root around in this very group you'll find a post or two from Todd on the topic of bid frequency which I think seems to suggest that the most bidding traffic happens on Tuesdays based on his analysis of some of the auctions he ran. (...) (25 years ago, 24-Aug-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: When should an auction end...

DANGER Will Robinson! This path, well trod as it is, does not lead to anything new, and is likely to stir up acrimony.... My advice, again, is to review the previous discussion. Different people have different opinions and fixed end time vs. (...) (25 years ago, 24-Aug-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: When should an auction end...

(...) (Taking the bait) My philosophy is that auctions shouldn't have an end. They should close when people stop bidding. Any other approach frustrates both seller and bidders. Steve (25 years ago, 24-Aug-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: When should an auction end...

(...) As a seller, I'm prefer to know when an auction will end. As a buyer, I bid only what I can afford or what the item is worth to me. If I get beat I can not complain, but I do occasionally laugh. Scott A (25 years ago, 24-Aug-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: When should an auction end...

(before things get out of hand) ...and I'm well aware of all the counter arguments, and I respect them. (25 years ago, 24-Aug-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: When should an auction end...

(...) Not a false memory, check out: (URL) (25 years ago, 25-Aug-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: When should an auction end...

Before they blocked eBay at work, I would monitor auctions at their end when I was the high bidder to defend against snipers. If I had been an active bidder in an auction, I would bid close to the end, up to my $$ limit, and if I got it, great. But (...) (25 years ago, 26-Aug-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  FOllow-up to 166: When should an auction end...

oops......forgot to sign that last message Sorry! Paul Sinasohn whoise mind is on scene changes in My Fair Lady, which opens tonight (25 years ago, 26-Aug-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: When should an auction end...

(...) No idea but it's not looking good. Were I to predict my schedule for the next month, I would say some split between MA, NY and MN is pretty probable with little or no CA and not a lot of MI other than on weekends. That's based on predicting (...) (25 years ago, 26-Aug-99, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.off-topic.fun)