 Marketplace / Theory / 159
Re: When should an auction end...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 14:38:33 GMT

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999 10:01:05 GMT, "Scott-A" <s.arthur@hw.ac.uk> wrote:

Is there any theory on when an auction should end. In terms of hour of day
and/or day of week?

I've placed counters on some of my ebay pages to monitor the hit rate
distribution. Based on this, right now, I tend to avoid weekends and try to
have it end sometime during the US working day. But I realise that this is
based "hit rate distribution" and not "bid rate distribution" which may not
be the same thing (?).

Does anyone else have a different philosophy?

(Taking the bait) My philosophy is that auctions shouldn't have an end.
They should close when people stop bidding.  Any other approach frustrates
both seller and bidders.

Steve