 Marketplace / Theory / 1145
Re: How will Lego Direct Influence Prices?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 04:18:24 GMT

James Brown wrote:

In lugnet.market.theory, Ray Sanders writes:
I would wonder about a 'ripple' effect of LD. If LD starts selling parts
that we could only get by buying sets and breaking then down, will those
sets still move off the shelves ?

An example: How much of the demand for the Target clearance of Sith was
caused by people wanting gray plates ?

All of it that wasn't caused by people wanting other grey parts. :)

I suspect it won't have a big effect on the clearance sale frenzy, since LD
won't be able/won't want to beat clearance pricing.  Where I do think it will
have an effect is on the online sales and auctions.  If firbleflanges are
available at $0.20 each from LD, (even if only in large quantities) then the
people who need firbleflanges will be much less willing to pay $0.50 or $1.00
in auctions.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/

People will still "over-pay" on Ebay. LD will not be known to all people,
and neither will the actual value of firbleflanges. Specialty sets like the
McDonalds drive thru were getting ridiculous bids, topping $60, when
available through S@H for $11. However, it will be considered an overpayment
only by those of us who don't know about LD. If someone needs 50
firbleflanges, can only find one of them in 40 piece sets that cost $8 each,
then $50 on Ebay would save $350 over buying them off the shelf.

There is also the possiblity that firbleflanges will cost more than $1 each.
Basic bricks in service packs are not cheap, averaging almost 0.09/brick,
compared to 0.02/brick if you buy a tub off a shelf. Unless I've missed a
news release, it's still up in the air as to what to expect from LD. Bulk
may not be a bargain to begin with. A convenience, but not a bargain.

Time will tell.

Ice