 Marketplace / Theory / 1016
    Re: What is spam? —Larry Pieniazek
   I'm going to stick by the definition as it's commonly accepted. Spam is unsolicited bulk email. Bulk in that it wasn't written by a human and isn't personal to you. Unsolicited in that you didn't ask for it. A mailing list or distro list that you're (...) (24 years ago, 19-Feb-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

        Re: What is spam? —James Brown
   (...) <nitpick> 'written by a human' notes can be spam. If I get my dirty little hands on an address list, and handwrite a (whatever), then send it to all gazillion of them, it can still qualify as spam. Most of the chain e-mails out there were, at (...) (24 years ago, 19-Feb-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

        Re: What is spam? —Todd Lehman
   (...) I think it actually _started_ with newsgroups, and has since grown to include mailing lists and other areas. (...) Ah yes, that's a great example! One single message, not necessarily having been bulk e-mailed (but in the recent (...) (24 years ago, 19-Feb-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

        Re: What is spam? —Frank Filz
    Todd Lehman wrote in message ... (...) include (...) Yup, that's my memory also. I know lists existed when I started reading newsgroups, but there weren't very many (of course at that time, you could actually read the whole list of newsgroups also, (...) (24 years ago, 19-Feb-00, to lugnet.market.theory)