 Marketplace / Shopping / 8519
8518  |  8520
Subject:
SoL @ TRU/Amazon.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 17:10:28 GMT

As LEGO S@H has sold out of the Statue of Liberty (SoL) sculpture and the
possibility that it may not go back into production again (see Brad Justus'
post http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=3887), I decided to order one
from TRU/Amazon.com.  I have wanted one of these, however I kept putting off
buying one for a long time as I always found things that I wanted more or
might be discontinued sooner.

Anyway, Amazon's web site had a banner stating "Free Shipping on Toys-Only
Purchases of $100 or More!" - see
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/feature/-/232131/107-3883633-1381301

Since the SoL was $199, it seemed to qualify.  However I couldn't get the
shipping to zero out on Amazon and the only coupon I could find was $5 off
$35 (which I used) I submitted the order and sent an e-mail to Amazon.com
asking to have the shipping charge removed.

They replied with the following:

--- from Amazon.com ---

Dear Mike,
Thanks for writing to us at Amazon.com and Toysrus.com.

I'm sorry, but it appears that your order did not meet all of the
qualifications specified on our web site to be eligible for the "Get Free
Shipping on Toys" offer.  Total cost of toys purchased between November 2-7
or between December 4-10 must be $150.00 or more

The restrictions for this offer can be found on our web site by following
the link on the Toys home page or by going directly to:
http://www.amazon.com/o/tg/feature/-/232131/

I have also summarized them below my signature for your reference. I
apologize for any inconvenience. We appreciate your business and hope to see
you again at Amazon.com and Toysrus.com.

Best wishes for the holidays,
[ name deleted ]

Fine Print for Free Shipping on Toys Orders
- Applies only to Toy products (video games systems, software, and
accessories, and Babiesrus.com items are not considered toys and are not
included in this offer).

- Total cost of toys purchased between November 2-7 or between December 4-10
must be $150.00 or more; total cost of toys purchased between November 8 and
December 4 must be $99.00 or more, after other promotional discounts have
been subtracted.

- Applies only when the customer chooses the shipping option to "group my
items into as few shipments as possible."

- Applies only to orders shipping via standard shipping only to a single
delivery address in the continental U.S. (excludes orders shipped to Alaska,
Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and APO/FPO addresses).

- Applies only to items sold by Amazon.com. Does not apply to products
purchased at amazon.co.uk, amazon.de, amazon.fr, amazon.co.jp, or
third-party merchants accessible from our site (such as our Health & Beauty
store operated by drugstore.com). Does not apply to purchases through Amazon
Marketplace, Auctions or zShops.

--- end from Amazon.com ---

I can't see why the SoL wouldn't qualify for Free Shipping under this offer.
No where on the web page itself are the dates in Amazon.com's e-mail
response to me listed.  I have replied to them again stating this and asking
for the shipping ($15) to be removed from my order.

We'll see what happens.  Anyone else order one?

Mike

http://www.nclug.net - North Carolina LEGO Users Group
http://www.carolinatrainbuilders - Carolina Train Builders
http://www.brickbay.com/store.asp?u=mpw - Brick Depot