 Marketplace / Shopping / 8495
8494  |  8496
Subject:
Fortress TRU
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 02:21:04 GMT

Today I understand why Fortress TRU has a security battallion: Holiday
shopper crowds in Times Square.

Fortress TRU is the new flagship store in New York. Today I hoped to glimpse
a Cloud Car, but only some other small 2002 Sw sets (and Alpha Team) were
left. Many adults (my age) were looking at Star Wars sets. Kids were
skipping about, poking at plentiful Bionicle cans, and could be heard
expressing "There's no Harry Potter Lego!" Indeed. The vacancy had made room
for the $25 blue Creator Tub, not too good a value, but there it is.

Lego, or TRU, have improved the appearance of the Lego aisle, but it is
still cramped. At least the big displays hold merchandise in their
pedestals. There is a small Lego Ferris wheel (George Ferris, RPI 1881)
that either I never saw or was recently installed. I take it as a small
retort to the Megabloks (et al)-sponsored life size Ferris wheel.

I was there to scope out the Megabloks. There are few Pro Builder choices at
the $20 price point.  So I bought a Gladiator and Lion Blok-Bot. I have to
say they hooked me on the name way back. Well there it is, no Lego for me
this Christmas (I found out my 10000 is not coming), but hey, my first
Megabloks set.

What should I put into the oven for testing? The gladiator figure, or just
some bricks? You make the call: police verso...