 Marketplace / Shopping / 8009
Re: TRU testing Lego price increases at some stores.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 01:32:56 GMT

This happened about 3-6 ago, as far as I can tell (don't get down there
often).  I was surprised to discover it happening to this store, because • it
is not a particularly upscale neighborhood and I will be surprised if it's
successful.  I suppose it is worthwhile to them as an experiment, though-- • a
test makes more sense than a random mark-up (the next TRU is less than ten
minutes away, in a more-upscale shopping center).

I've found that around here it usually works this way as well.  It's most
evident with Kmart, but I've noticed it with other stores as well.

There are two KMarts in what would be considered "bad" neighborhoods, and
everything there (In the Lego Aisle atleast) is consistently marked up above
retail.  Usually about 5%.  Presumably this is to offset their greater
losses to shoplifting and such.

I'm really surprised that they can get away with this, as it seems to me
they are taking advantage of people who really can't afford to pay the
higher prices, and people who usually can't easily get out of the
neighborhood to shop accross town at other stores.

An upside for Lego hounds though is that these stores usually keep stock on
the shelf longer, and thus have more available when stuff goes to clearance.
;)

Troy