 Marketplace / Shopping / 8007
Re: TRU testing Lego price increases at some stores.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 20:19:45 GMT

Troy Cefaratti writes:
In my quest for Star Wars value packs, I recently visited several local TRU
stores int he Cleveland, OH area.

At one store (Parmatown Mall) I noticed that almost all of the Lego sets
seemed to have been marked up by about 10%.  $20 sets were $22, $35 sets
were $38.50, Etc.

*snip*

....  It seems that TRU is test marketing a
bunch of things, including raising prices, to see if they can get away with
it.

The TRU in Redwood City, CA (halfway between San Francisco and San Jose) has
raised prices 10% across the store (OK, I didn't actually price the Barbies,
board games, and diapers, but I looked at a number of lines, not just Lego).

This happened about 3-6 ago, as far as I can tell (don't get down there
often).  I was surprised to discover it happening to this store, because it
is not a particularly upscale neighborhood and I will be surprised if it's
successful.  I suppose it is worthwhile to them as an experiment, though-- a
test makes more sense than a random mark-up (the next TRU is less than ten
minutes away, in a more-upscale shopping center).

In San Francisco proper (and I assume inside other large cities) TRUs have
had 10%-higher-than-normal-TRU pricing for several years.  It's interseting
to note, though, that there is currently only one TRU within the SF city
limits-- a second one closed down last spring, presumably due to poor sales,
since they said there were no immediate plans to replace it with another one.

Kevin