 Marketplace / Shopping / 5530
Re: An Uncommon Find?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 00:38:12 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.market.shopping, James Simpson writes:

I'm wondering how common it is to find a European-packaged version here
in the states?

Actually, not common in the US, but common at KB as it turns out oddly
enough... As I recall, the reason why US boxes have a piece count at all was
to do with some legal issues or something? Hence, all the US boxes have piece
counts, other countries don't necessarily.

However, KB seems to get some of its stock from other countries, since I've
managed to swing several European sets, and even several Japanese sets from
KB.
(Ok, they could've been Chinese and I would've been none the wiser). At any
rate, it seems that KB gets a good mix of stock from other parts of the globe,
while other retailers like Walmart, Ames, TRU, etc, all seem to get US-only
sets...

This is definitely the case.  I had all but given up on ever getting good Lego
at KB toys locally, but just before Christmas 1999 I went into a KB to see if
they had any Lego at all.  To my surprise my nearby store has begun to stock
Lego again of decent quality and quantity.

Most importantly, I was able to purchase several copies of Divers set 6560
Diving Expedition Explorer marked at just 44.88 US Dollars. [1][2]
This price is 40% off SRP but more importantly, this set was never available to
other US retailers in the US retail assortment.  Only Lego Shop @ Home had this
set available in the US.

There may be other examples as well.

[1]  I sold them all at good profit and did not even keep any for myself.
[2]  Currently available from KB Kids.com online -->
"http://www.kbkids.com/toys/product.html?WebID=00b18a9f5b330090969f5b33004e839f
5b33001f5a9f5b33"

__Kevin Salm__
....The biggest fan of the Gray Lego brick....