 Marketplace / Shopping / 5513
Re: An Uncommon Find?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 15:03:55 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, James Simpson writes:
Saturday I was rummaging through the usual suspects at a KB in hopes of a • really
good bargain, and had almost conceded defeat when at the very back of the
"stacks" (this particular KB doesn't really shelf its Lego - it kind of stacks
them), something caught my eye just as I turned to leave...I had stumbled upon
Model Team 5561 for $40.  Needless to say I purchased it.  What seems uncommon
about this is that it is the European version, or atleast European packaging -
no element count, no model name, and a curious supplemental catalog listing
prices by various European countries only.  I'm wondering how common it is to
find a European-packaged version here in the states?

Actually, not common in the US, but common at KB as it turns out oddly
enough... As I recall, the reason why US boxes have a piece count at all was to
do with some legal issues or something? Hence, all the US boxes have piece
counts, other countries don't necessarily.

However, KB seems to get some of its stock from other countries, since I've
managed to swing several European sets, and even several Japanese sets from KB.
(Ok, they could've been Chinese and I would've been none the wiser). At any
rate, it seems that KB gets a good mix of stock from other parts of the globe,
while other retailers like Walmart, Ames, TRU, etc, all seem to get US-only
sets...

DaveE