 Marketplace / Shopping / 3388
Re: Possible markdown at TRU on Mystic Mountain Time Lab
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 15:54:38 GMT

I asked the manager:  "Are you ever going to sell those sets - you have
enough to last till the 3rd coming of Christ."  He said he was considering
marking them half off.  I told him that at half off of the $50, I would
clean them all out.  He said OK.  He was already pushing a pallet of other
stuff I brought through the store, so that may have helped.  Also, he was
making room for a Kids R Us in the store and I think it cleared out a needed
endcap for him.

I went to the other TRU and tried on the 6 sets they had, but I got no
better than $37.50, which I passed on.  I might go back, if my margins on
ebay for unwanted parts can justify paying that much.  I don't want to get
stuck for too much to get the BURPs (and a few other items) out of the set.

I might go and try the same thing with some of those western/Indian sets, as
they also have a ton of BURPs and I still need about 800-850 more.

Mike

Mr L F Braun <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> wrote in message

Frank Filz wrote:

Mike Poindexter wrote:

While picking up a raincheck on tubs at my favorite TRU, I asked the • manager
if he was ever going to sell the <set:6494> Mystic Mountain Time Lab. • He
has had them marked "clearance" at $50 for over a year.  He told me he
couldn't pay people to take them, to which I replied, it depends on • how much
you pay them.  I ended up getting them for $25 each, so I picked up • all 14
of them.  I am guessing that I can make back my $25, or at least I • hope I
can, as it only has a couple of parts I want.

Mike, could you possibly let me know what mechanism they used to justify • the
price?  A local TRU has 13 of those sets, and I'd love to get them at $25 • or $30
each.  Their manager said that only the Corporation (insert sinister beat • music
here) could make a price change unless items were damaged, and that they'd • go back
to the vendor anyways (to which I said "why haven't they" and the manager • assured
me that the Lego rep was coming next week and might take them away...fat • chance,
and they won't get $25 back for them anyways), the usual spiel that • doesn't hold
water but that I look like a weenie for arguing with.  If I knew how they • did it
administratively, I'd have a valid counter--my other option is to go over • their
head and call Corporate, which I'm loathe to do because it will surely • cost me a
good few hours on long distance for uncertain results.

I thought about getting one at $50, but nahhh...I got my one at Meijer for • $35,
and I won't pay more than that.

best

Lindsay