 Marketplace / Shopping / 2201
Re: HOTW! (Yeah, that's an H.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 09:28:35 GMT

Richard Marchetti wrote:

In lugnet.market.shopping, Shiri Dori writes:
Well, sounds like you were lucky. I tried that with FAO Schwartz and their
torn box of the royal knight's carraige (too lazy to find number now) but the
salesperson just said that the bags were still complete and that she'll take
off ten percent off the $22 set.
Wow, a $2 discount... That'll make me day.

FAO is very unbudgeable on price.  They offered me the same on a Paradisa set--a
Paradisa set that was already priced 40% above MSRP.  I'll go into FAO to shop, but
never, ever, *ever* to buy.  When it was just jacked up 10%, many years ago, I
could justify it--but not paying a 40% entertainment "fee."

This always happens to me.  No one ever gives me a deal on anything, EVER! The
discounts I am usually offered are not worth the hassle of pursuing the
missing parts.  And this presumes I know precisely which parts have gone
astray while I am trying to make a decision about it.  Uh, thanks but no
thanks!

How old are you two?  Just curious--I've noticed that since I became all edumacated
and toss around $1.50 words and look all haggard and 30, adults take me more
seriously.  Almost like I'm one of them!  (Ha.  Hardly.)

And just because the bags that remain are sealed is no guarantee of ALL of the
bags being there. What are people thinking?

They're thinking the same thing that the Service Merchandise people were thinking
on a Skull Island set a couple of years ago:  10% off, when I knew that at least
half the polybags and the baseplate were missing, and could point to this.

It hurts a brick lover like myself see so many elements end up on the Island
of Lost Toys...

Sorry, I've just got to say it:

"Nobody wants a Timmy in the box!"

I can only hope the stores don't literally throw such things
away. I could see them taping the box and putting it on liquidation for 25% of
the full retail price with a warning that parts are missing -- but a $2
discount they can stuff.

That's not liquidation.  That's still profitable--they should send it back to TLG,
or blow it out as a loss on their P&Ls, IMHO.  Then again, it's not my business--if
they want an upset customer down the line who doesn't know better and costs them
money and time rather than a happy customer now that just costs them a few bucks
but who will certainly come back, that's their business--and their Chapter 11.

best,

Lindsay