 Marketplace / Shopping / 2197
Re: HOTW! (Yeah, that's an H.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 05:27:29 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Shiri Dori writes:
Well, sounds like you were lucky. I tried that with FAO Schwartz and their
torn box of the royal knight's carraige (too lazy to find number now) but the
salesperson just said that the bags were still complete and that she'll take
off ten percent off the $22 set.
Wow, a $2 discount... That'll make me day.

This always happens to me.  No one ever gives me a deal on anything, EVER! The
discounts I am usually offered are not worth the hassle of pursuing the
missing parts.  And this presumes I know precisely which parts have gone
astray while I am trying to make a decision about it.  Uh, thanks but no
thanks!

And just because the bags that remain are sealed is no guarantee of ALL of the
bags being there. What are people thinking?

Yesterday I found a 6091 King Leo's Castle that not only was an open box - it
had never even had the taped seals on it to begin with! And those of you that
have seen the set know that it is packaged like the Mos-Espa-Whatever-the-Heck-
It-Is -- in the flimsiest box imaginable! I have seen countless of these large
SW sets ripped open, parts strewn across the aisle (and man, do I want some of
those parts if not the actual set itself!).  LEGO surely has to take some
responsibility for the manner in which its packaging sets nowadays; I mean, if
the target audience is some 5 year old, then the box must be reasonably child
proof.  An open box with no seals just isn't going to cut it in my neck of the
woods. Y'all should see the KMART near me late on a Saturday, the aisles are
literally strewn with toys many of which are LEGO boxes -- the bricks of which
are in various stages of assembly.

It hurts a brick lover like myself see so many elements end up on the Island
of Lost Toys...I can only hope the stores don't literally throw such things
away. I could see them taping the box and putting it on liquidation for 25% of
the full retail price with a warning that parts are missing -- but a $2
discount they can stuff.

=(

-- Richard