 Marketplace / Shopping / 12362
Re: Finds at Orlando PaB
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.fl.orl, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 2006 19:29:32 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.fl.orl, Brian Davis wrote:
In lugnet.loc.us.fl.orl, Michael Huffman wrote:

Next time I'm down, (which is later this week, btw), I'll chat up
one of the sales people & see how many cases they go through in a
day/week.  I'm interested to know what their turn over is...

   That would be very interesting. I saw some turnover in the four days I was
there. I suspect they would sell even better if they (the store) would link
certain part together somehow. They had two kinds of wheels (larger ones that
mount to standard Technic pins, and the smaller smooth ones that snap onto small
thin axles molded as part of certain plates). But both of these needed three
parts (tire, hub, and axle mount), and while all the parts where there, they
were not spatially close to each other, and there was no way for 95% of the
folks running through there to know it (heck, I had to look for a while until I
discovered the small wheel hubs).

I found it a little disconcerting as well.  I'd look up/down a few bins at a
time, figuring out what I wanted to buy... then I'd jump to the next section &
had to refigure what I wanted to stuff into a cup... then I'd jump to the next
section & go... oh, those pieces would go nicely with some of the elements from
the first section of bins & so on... But my wife enjoyed watching me... like a
kid in a candy store, trying to figure out the maximum amount of candy I can buy
with limited funds...

   But by all means, ask in the early morning - after noon, that place is a zoo.
I've never walked on so much LEGO in my life.

Same experience here...  I ended up talking with a store manager for about 15-30
minutes early one morning.  We chatted about the up-coming (then) 'Festival of
the Masters' & the display that would go on outside the store...
Talked about our Ohio Lego club... etc.  Try that any time afternoon, or towards
the evening, forget it... kept tripping over little people.

   Oh, they also have 1x4 brown "log" bricks (old brown, I think), floresent
trans-green 2x2 "domes", and, well... lots of other goodies. There was even a
Brick Grab Bag with some 16x32 green baseplates in it.

Cool, grab bags!

--Mike.