 Marketplace / Shopping / 12321
Re: What happened to Harry Potter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.harrypotter
Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 03:50:48 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Adrian Egli wrote:
A similar question was posted on Jake McKee's blog on December 16th.  Here's the
text-

jl asks:

How come so many items are backordered and sold out at S@H? The trains section
has no curved rails, speed regulators, track packs, BNSF locos, engine sheds,
TTX cars, high speed trains, level crossings, etc. which are all on backorder.
The Metroliner, Santa Fe cars, cargo train, open freight car, and hogwarts
trains all completely sold out. Also, on a given day about half of the "Whats
Hot Now" items are sold out or backordered. It seems like S@H has the whole year
to prepare for the Christmas rush so that they aren't sold out out af so many
items.

Now THIS is a fun question to answer.... and the answer is more simplistic than
you might think.

We're selling out faster than we can replinish the stock.

It's not just Shop At Home either, the stores are cranking through product
faster than we get them fresh inventory.

To your question of "better planning", so to speak. The fact is, we're having
what every manufacture wishes for - a period where product is going out faster
than we can produce it. Our factories are working overtime, and we're exceeding
our sales forecasts from earlier in the year. We do as much planning in advance
as we can, but sometimes you blow out your plans. Good problem to have.

I was starting to worry for Lego. Almost nobody in Milwaukee is showing much
Lego this Christmas except Toys R Us. Wal-Mart, very narrow range, Target, bare
shelves, Kohl's, Clikits. It makes it look like they are dropping Lego from
retail. It will be a great relief to hear how well Lego really did when the
annual report comes out.

-Erik