 Marketplace / Shopping / 12320
Re: What happened to Harry Potter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.harrypotter
Date:
Mon, 19 Dec 2005 16:05:33 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.market.shopping, Paul Ferguson wrote:
So, what is the speculation on what happened to Harry Potter sets?  I was
expecting large numbers of them to appear on retail shelves when the Goblet of
Fire was released.  My actual experiece was:

KMART - small quantities of the Mermaid set

Toys R Us - initially small quantities of all sets; these sold out during their
BOGO a couple of weeks ago.  Graveyard Duel and Durmstrang ship now restocked a
bit.

Target - only saw the Durmstrang Ship there, and those are gone.  In fact, this
week's ad puts them on nominal "clearance" at about $39.

Walmart - Narry a Harry in sight at any time.

Meijer - No Harry's to be had.

So it looks like, to me, that LEGO somehow failed to capitalize on the release
of the movie.  It's hard for me to believe that it will be easier to sell these
sets after Christmas than it is now.

Did other people see the same.  If so, what happened?

Did LEGO underestimate demand, and fail to get the product out to the retailers?

Or did the retailers sharply curtail their "buys", because they've been stuck
with a lot of movie-related sets in the last couple of years (Spiderman, some
earlier Harry Potter sets), that stayed on the shelf a long time and had to be
clearanced at low prices to move them out?

Are we going to see them all at Big Lots and Tuesday Morning next year?

Any ideas or info?

A similar question was posted on Jake McKee's blog on December 16th.  Here's the
text-

jl asks:

How come so many items are backordered and sold out at S@H? The trains section
has no curved rails, speed regulators, track packs, BNSF locos, engine sheds,
TTX cars, high speed trains, level crossings, etc. which are all on backorder.
The Metroliner, Santa Fe cars, cargo train, open freight car, and hogwarts
trains all completely sold out. Also, on a given day about half of the "Whats
Hot Now" items are sold out or backordered. It seems like S@H has the whole year
to prepare for the Christmas rush so that they aren't sold out out af so many
items.

Now THIS is a fun question to answer.... and the answer is more simplistic than
you might think.

We're selling out faster than we can replinish the stock.

It's not just Shop At Home either, the stores are cranking through product
faster than we get them fresh inventory.

To your question of "better planning", so to speak. The fact is, we're having
what every manufacture wishes for - a period where product is going out faster
than we can produce it. Our factories are working overtime, and we're exceeding
our sales forecasts from earlier in the year. We do as much planning in advance
as we can, but sometimes you blow out your plans. Good problem to have.

HTH,

Adr.