 Marketplace / Shopping / 1171
Re: Blue Hopper Car Mania...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 13:45:17 GMT

The fact that a rule is stupid or even that it costs the company sales
when it is adhered to is irrelevant. If the company promulgates a rule
and makes it a part of the implied contract between you and they, you
are bound to abide by it or be in breach of contract.

Now, this particular breach may be small beer, but it's a breach
nonetheless. You can certainly choose to be in breech as long as you are
prepared to accept the consequences. One of those being that I consider
it wrong, morally, to be in deliberate breach. Whether that matters to
you matters not to me.

Specifically...

Mike Stanley wrote:

Certainly you're not saying that if I get in on a deal that's one
per household, then privately contract with another person at
another address to get in on the same deal, paying with their money
and having it shipped to their address, then at some time after that
pay them for the item which they then hand to me, is cheating?

Not at all. That household chose to buy it. Unless the terms are "no
resale ever" they can then sell to you at whatever price they choose
including what they paid, more, or less, and not be in breach.

If so, you would be saying this?

[Deal is one per household]

I buy one.  Rachael can't.  (That's ok)

Correct, agreed.

I buy one.  Rachael does as well, ships to work.  (Not ok. Cheating)

Correct, agreed.

Rachael's Dad buys one.  Sells to me when he comes to town next.
(Not ok - also cheating?)

Incorrect. Not cheating unless the offer terms say no resale.

Surely not, Larry, champion of the rights of individuals to contract
with one another to do business?

I would have thought you would say it's cool for me to contract with
everyone in my apartment building to buy such and such deal.

I do say so. Unless the terms say no resale.