 Marketplace / Shopping / 11624
Re: Regarding Bricklink Utilities
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 22:18:54 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.market.theory, Walter Walters wrote:
   I think it’s a great idea. This feature could be combined with the Bricklink wishlist. One problem I have with the wishlist is having several LEGO projects going simultaneously. My wishlist contains certain pieces that I want right now and other pieces that I want for future projects. Rather than lumping them all together, it would be useful to have “sub”-wishlists or at least assign a priority to the purchase list. This would make tacking “extra” (the less important) pieces onto the main order much easier. In other words, the proposed program could have sub-wishlists that could be included (with a priority value) or excluded during the minimization calculation.

I think Shaun’s list of desired functionality is way too much to ask for (largely because shipping costs are going to be very tricky to calculate, since some of them are based on actual cost, and others are calculated based on quantity/weight of parts). Any S&H calculator would have to guesstimate your final cost, and international shipping would just make it that much more difficult. .snip.

Optimal cost is, I’m sure, a very difficult problem (probably NP-complete). But even ignoring shipping costs would be a good place to start. Minimizing the number of stores reduces shipping cost. It may not the absolutely lowest cost, but it’s a good approximation to it. By restricting the country of the seller, minimizing the number of stores would go a long way toward minimizing the total cost (and the manual effort of purchasing).